Home-Start runs more services and has more volunteers supporting more families than any other family support charity in the UK..
Our family support volunteers understand the pressures of family life and the struggles and joy of raising a family. The come from different backgrounds and vary in age and wish to give something back to their local community.
They provide non-judgemental, practical and emotional support and help build the family’s confidence and ability to cope.
Our volunteers make a long-lasting difference to families who welcome a helping hand when needed. Benefiting children long term and reducing problems escalating in the future that ensures they have a happy and secure family life.
Some volunteers support families in the family’s home, within our family groups, phone, text or video support, fundraising, admin support and co-facilitating support groups.
What support do I get?
Training, friendship, training, socials, resources and much more. A member of staff will guide and support you from the beginning and we will take into account your skills, interests and ambitions.
We understand that volunteers volunteer for many reasons – to make a difference to their local community or are looking for opportunities to plan for their future.
- We provided the opportunity for and provided experience for 15 volunteers and 3 families to gain a “Children and Young People Workforce “Level 3 qualification.
- 22 volunteers to gain level 2 qualification in understanding Autism with 3 of them going on to take further qualifications.
- 19 volunteers completed functional skills English, Maths and Computer skills.
- Supported 16 volunteers gain experience facilitating in our support groups.
- Opportunity for 25 volunteers gain admin experience.
- Have supported 45 volunteers to gain their Social Work Degree.
- Have supported 3 volunteers gain their Midwifery Degree.
- Have supported 21 volunteers into further education opportunities.
- Have supported 63 volunteers gain employment.
- Supported 5 volunteers to foster children.
- 11 Home-Start volunteers have secured other volunteering opportunities.
- 46 families that we have supported in the past have gone on to volunteer and support other families within Home-Start.
Because Childhood Can't Wait
A quick guide to becoming a volunteer
- Contact the office on 01527 62819, or email
- You will have to undergo a criminal record check at enhanced level, fill out an application form providing 2 referees for us to contact.
- You should be able to commit at least 1 year of your time to Home-Start.
- You should have a non-judgemental attitude and understand about the pressures of bringing up a family.
- You will have to attend our free Volunteer Preparation Course with other new volunteers before meeting your first family.
- Expenses are paid when you support a family.
- You must understand that your support to families is completely confidential.
- Fill in a diary sheet after each home-visit.
- You will be supported by Home-Start NEW during the time you are visiting families.